Some events may occur in our lives, such as illness, severe accidents or genetic disorders which could necessitate having a body part replaced. Having them replaced, leads to a chance at living normally or without pain. Here are 5 body parts you can replace through surgery in today’s world.
JOINTS – A joint is where the end of two or more bones meet. Different joints today can be replaced be it shoulder, ankle, elbow or wrist. however there are two major common joint replacement surgeries.
- HIP REPLACEMENT – Hip replacement was mostly done for persons who had reached old age and had the typical bone related problems. Today however it can be done on just about anyone who has a real need for it. Joint pain in the hip could be caused by a number of factors such as Osteoarthritis in the hip joint, Rheumatoid Arthritis, an inflammatory condition of joints which causes swelling and pain. Osteonecrosis, a condition that causes bone in joints to die due to insufficient blood supply or a fracture caused by some accident. All of these cause pain to the patient and hinders free movement. Hip replacement is done when all other channels to relieve the pain have been utilized. The surgeon removes the painful hip joint and replaces it with an artificial one often made from metal and plastic components. Today hip joint implants can last up to 20 years.
2. KNEE REPLACEMENT – Severe arthritis or knee injuries could warrant a knee replacement surgery. The patient in need of this surgery may find activities that would involve the knee such as climbing stairs or bending painful. The goal of knee replacement surgery is to resurface the parts of the knee joint that have been damaged and to relieve knee pain that cannot be controlled by other treatments. Just like hip replacement, the knee replacement helps the patient afterwards to have more effortless movements.
3. RETINAL IMPLANTS – Retinal implants is giving hope to persons who have lost their vision through retinal diseases, as it partially restores some useful vision to them. Retinal implants are still being researched and worked upon for improvement, they do not offer 100% vision but help patients identify things such as light sources or recognize faces. Sight is an important part of human living, hence we can say eye surgery and engineering will sure get better as the years go by.
4. PROSTHETIC HANDS THAT CAN SENSE TOUCH – Prosthetic parts are man made objects used to replace mostly missing human limbs such as hands & legs. They have been in existence and keep going through enhancements to help users get the most out of them. Such improvements include making prosthetic hands sense touch by sending signals to the brain. This of course gives a better experience to the user, something close to the real.
5. BIONIC LEGS – This form of prosthetic has been developed to be controlled by thoughts from the brain thereby making them move accordingly. Another advancement in prosthetic legs is the ITAP ( intraosseous transcutaneous amputation prosthesis) this involves attaching a metal implant to the bone at the end of the residual limb. The implant then pokes through the skin and attaches to the prosthetic leg, giving users a direct connection between their body and the prosthesis.
Most of what appears in this post is what we can refer to as medical engineering. Suffice to say any field or profession can in some way contribute positively to the world of health, thereby making life easier for those who may otherwise not stand a chance. So hopefully this has informed you about body parts you can replace through surgery.
Have a positive health attitude.